BookMyShow has created history by alone selling over 3 million movie tickets for the Christmas weekend from Friday to Sunday, which also was the opening weekend of mega blockbuster Dangal. For shows on Saturday (Dec 24) and Sunday (Dec 25), BookMyShow sold over 1 million tickets a day, thereby contributing to over 35% of Dangal’s overall opening weekend collection in India. As a way to celebrate this, BookMyShow has also extended its Blockbuster Week offer till 1st January 2017, wherein users will be able to avail massive discounts on movie ticket bookings while also standing a chance to win fabulous gifts and assured prizes.
Dangal has already received the highest ever advance opening on BookMyShow. The movie witnessed approximately 40% more advance bookings on the platform for the opening week as compared to other blockbusters that entertained movie buffs in 2016. BookMyShow also hit its fastest 1 million ticket milestone for an individual movie with Dangal.
– Contributes Over 1/3rd to Dangal’s Opening Weekend Collection in India
– Extends its Blockbuster Week Offer Till 1st January 2017
Ashish Saksena, COO-Cinemas, BookMyShow said, “The year 2016 has ended on an extremely high note for BookMyShow. We have set new records in online movie ticketing and are determined to replicate this success in 2017 which already has some promising content lined up. Selling 1 million tickets a day is a milestone for BookMyShow. We have been able to effortlessly achieve this enormous scale because of our deep and incisive understanding of the user, by building a brand that is centred around their needs and requirements, and by offering an experience that is unmatched.”
“We are movie buffs who are hungry to experiment, introduce new ways to delight our users and are absolutely sure that in 2017, BookMyShow will continue to transform online entertainment ticketing,” added Saksena.
BookMyShow, since its launch in 2007, is the preferred partner for online ticket sales for exhibitors, distributors and production houses alike. It currently has over 4000 screens on its platforms, and is present in over 400 cities and towns.
Earlier this month, BookMyShow launched new and improved mobile app to redefine user experience.
Features of the new app:
- The new app makes discoverability a lot simpler. The users can now quickly choose their preferred movie by filtering them either by language or by cinema.
- In addition to the default English language option, users will also be able to discover entertainment options on BookMyShow in Tamil, Telugu, Hindi and Kannada.
- Features such as Mini Maps have been introduced for movies as well as events to give a user a bird’s-eye view of the full layout of the premises.
- BookMyShow has introduced a Just For You section. The new app learns from the user’s past purchase behaviour, understands their choices and the recommendation engine then springs into action to personalise and suggest relevant entertainment options.
- The booking flow for events and movies continues to remain simple and linear but the number of booking steps have been reduced. While booking a movie ticket, users will be able to choose from different categories and price points within the same screen.
BookMyShows MyWallet will now let users Split Tickets to instantly share tickets with the entire movie going group. They can pay for their share instantly using MyWallet. Users can also pre-book their Food & Beverages at their own convenience even after successfully completing a movie ticket transaction on BookMyShow.
The new app has been rolled out to BookMyShows Android user base and will be made available to iOS users soon.
Source: BookMyShow Press Release