In order to compete with Spotify and Amazon Prime music, YouTube has launched its paid service, YouTube Premium, and music streaming service, YouTube Music, in India.
“We are introducing YouTube Music, our made-for-music app with the magic of YouTube: making the world of music easier to explore and more personalized than ever to users in India. The days of jumping back and forth between multiple music apps and YouTube are over. Whether you want to listen, watch or discover, it’s all here.”, said in their blog post.
What is YouTube Music?
YouTube Music is a new music streaming service made for music: official songs, albums, thousands of playlists and artist radio plus YouTube’s tremendous catalog of remixes, live performances, covers and music videos that you may not be able to find anywhere else – all simply organized and personalized. In short, all your music related videos and music in one place!
While users can enjoy the new ad-supported version of YouTube Music for free, YouTube has also launched YouTube Music Premium, a paid membership that allows you to play a YouTube music video in the background while you toggle between apps, write a text message or lock your phone while you’re going for a run, along with offline downloads and an ad-free experience for ?99 a month.
If you are a subscriber to Google Play Music, there’s good news: You get a YouTube Music Premium membership as part of your subscription each month. And if you use Google Play Music, nothing will change — you’ll still be able to access all of your purchased music, uploads and playlists in Google Play Music just like always.
Top Features of YouTube Music:
- Not just music videos, but official songs, albums, singles, remixes, live performances, covers and hard-to-find music that one can find only on YouTube.
- Custom based recommendations – A home screen that dynamically adapts to provide recommendations based on the music played before and what the listener is doing. So if you are in the gym working out or escaping during your daily commute, the right music is right there on the YouTube Music app.
- Thousands of playlists across any genre, mood, activity, or language.
- Smart search – Search by keywords, even if you don’t remember the full song. You have the option to search by lyrics.
- The hottest videos – YouTube Music will keep you updated on what’s hot! The hottest videos in the world are right there, on their dedicated Hotlist screen.
- Download your favorite tracks – For paid members, your Offline Mixtape automatically downloads up to 100 songs you love on your mobile device, in case you forgot to do it yourself. And yes, paid members can also download songs, videos, albums or playlists too. Visit the Library tab to find it easily, along with your other downloaded albums, songs, and playlists. Adjust the number of songs to download and more in your download settings.
To extend the features of YouTube Music Premium beyond the music app, they have also introduced YouTube Premium, YouTube Premium includes ad-free, background and offline play across all of YouTube, as well as access to YouTube Originals including Cobra Kai, BTS: Burn The Stage. But because it includes their brand new YouTube Music service, the price will be ?129 rupees for all new members.
**Samsung Galaxy S10 users can enjoy 4 months of free, uninterrupted access to YouTube Premium, which includes access to YouTube Music.
The music streaming market in India!
According to a recent report by Deloitte and Indian music-industry body IMI, the audio and video OTT market in India is valued at around $280 million. The evolving audio OTT market provides nearly 150 million monthly active users access to millions of soundtracks across platforms.
Interestingly Spotify which was launched recently in India garnered 1 million users in less than a week of its launch.
Amazon Prime offers music streaming services for Rs. 129 per month or Rs. 999 a year, which is bundled along with Amazon e-commerce and Prime video services. Spotify offers its services at Rs. 119 per month.
Gaana, one of the earlier players in the market, offer 1-month (Rs.99), 3 months (Rs.199), 6 months (Rs.249) and 1-year (Rs.499) plans. The 1-year plan comes along with free Sony Liv subscription.
JioSaavn (Jio acquired Saavn last year) is available for Rs. 99 per month.